Every school provides counseling services to all students. Read 324P - School Guidance and Counseling Programs.
Members of the school counseling staff work with classroom teachers through various school and community services. Together they assist pupils with better understanding themselves, developing their abilities and intellectual capacities, making wise decisions, and preparing for and living satisfying and successful lives. All this is accomplished relative to students' abilities, interests and needs.
In order to meet these needs, the scope of our program embraces the following services:
- registration and orientation of students
- maintenance of individual cumulative records
- testing of students and interpretation of results to teachers, students and parents
- counseling with students (career and personal)
- provision and interpretation of educational and occupational information to students and parents
- educational and employment placement of students
- follow up of graduates
- use of community agencies
- interpreting needs of the students to the administration and those in charge of instruction
- liaison agent for pupil, parents and school
Ms. Candice Longoria (A-Divittorio)
Ms. Allison Blum (Dodrill-Jones)
Ms. Carmen Thompson (Jordan-Ouk)
Ms. Stacy Jeran (Owens-Taveras)
Mrs. Amber Mungavin, Director (Taylor-Z)
To schedule an appointment with your counselor, please complete and submit the SHS School Counseling Sign Up Form.
Additional Counseling Staff
Mrs. Tracey White, Registrar
Ms. Stephanie Noel, Accountability Specialist
Mrs. Krista Rudolph, Career Coach
Ms. Ashlie Solomon, Secretary
Course Descriptions/Program of Studies - Get course information and descriptions
Scholarships - Learn more about scholarship opportunities
Frederick County Educational Foundation Scholarships
College Entrance Tests - Get more information about SAT and ACT testing, including requesting accommodations.
Laurel Ridge C.C. Library Resources - Access Laurel Ridge Community College's library resources.
Upcoming Counseling Events
- Writing SOL for English 11 Students
- Reading and Writing Integrated Field Test for English 11 April 5 and 6
- Junior Parent Meeting: April 27
Course Request Letters 2023-2024
On Wednesday, February 15, Course Request Letters for the 2023-2024 school year were emailed to parents/guardians from the Tyler System. If a student would like any changes to their course request, they can print out the letter and return it with the changes to their school counselor in the counseling office. Students may also have their parent/guardian email the course changes directly to their school counselor. Due to the migration to the new data system, Infinite Campus, the deadline for course request changes will be Friday, March 31. No changes will be accepted after this date.
AP Exam 2023 Information
The cost of taking each AP exam is $97. Final payment for all enrolled exams will be on or before March 10, 2023. AP exams will be administered during the three–week exam window of May 1-4, May 9-13, and May 17-19, 2023. Transportation to and from the exam site will be the responsibility of the student/family. Additional details regarding the testing process will be shared in the spring. For more information, contact the school counseling department or visit www.collegeboard.org.
- Writing SOL for English 11 Students
Career and Technical Education (CTE)
- 2023-24 Rising 9th Grade Parent Meeting Presentation
- Fall 2022 Freshmen Class Presentation
- Fall 2022 Junior Class Presentation
- Class of 2023- Senior Parent Meeting Presentation
- 2022-23 Dual Enrollment Presentation
- College Admissions Presentation
- SHS Virtual Virginia Application Summer 2023/School Year 2023-2024
- ASVAB Spring 2023 Registration Form
- 2022-2023 Transcript Deadlines
- Transfer VA Dual Enrollment Student Guide
- 2022-23 SAT/ACT Fee Waiver Request Form
- Scholarship Search Site
- College Planning
- NCAA Eligibility Center
- Kahn Academy
- Career Planning Guide