Every school provides guidance and counseling services to all students. Read 324P - School Guidance and Counseling Programs.
Please notify Ms. Bryant, extension 82194, if you have moved, changed your cell or home phone numbers, or place of employment. It is critical that we have current information in case of an emergency with your child.
The mission of James Wood Middle School's counseling department is to support students as lifelong learners so they can achieve their full potential. School counselors will provide a comprehensive, developmentally appropriate counseling program to help students focus on academic, personal/social, and career goals so they are successful in school and are prepared to be productive members of society. In cooperation with students, staff, and parents, the school counselor will create a positive, supportive counseling program that will ensure a safe and nurturing school environment for everyone.
The department consists of three school counselors and one secretary/registrar. Counselors are assigned to each of the three grade levels and work with those students as they progress from sixth through eighth grade. Learn more about our counseling staff.
6th Grade Counselor
7th Grade Counselor
8th Grade Counselor
The school counseling and guidance program is designed to promote academic/educational, personal, social, and career development. As an integral part of the school program, counseling builds a strong foundation for learning and growth in the following ways:
- a positive attitude toward school/learning
- personal responsibility
- respect for self and others
- decision-making skills
What do school counselors do?
- Counsel students individually or in small groups to meet identified needs
- Deliver school counseling curriculum individually, in small, and in large groups
- Consult with parents, teachers, and school staff addressing student's needs, providing community resources
- Participate in planning, implementing, and evaluating a comprehensive school counseling program
- Know/Adhere to the ethical, legal, and professional standards of the counseling profession