Parent Resource Center
The Parent Resource Center provides information and support to parents of children with disabilities as they work with school staff to identify and meet their child's unique needs. The Parent Resource Center:
- is open Mondays and Wednesdays from 8:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
- provides support and assistance for families of children with special needs
- serves as an information and referral source for parents, educators and the community about services within our community
- offers information sessions on disability related topics for families and staff throughout the year
1481 Senseny Road
Winchester, Virginia 22602
Special Education Advisory Committee Meetings will be held on the following dates at 6:00 p.m.
- September 20
- November 8
- February 7 (snow date February 28)
- April 11 (Annual Plan)
- April 25
Note: These resources are provided for information only and does not constitute or imply endorsement, recommendation or preference by FCPS.
- Center for Family Involvement - Works with families to increase their skills as advocates, mentors and leaders so that families, children and young adults with disabilities can lead the lives they want.
- Creating a Home Where Your Child Can Thrive - Tips for home modifications for children with special needs.
- I'm Determined - A project aimed at providing direct instruction, models and opportunities to practice skills associated with self-determined behavior.
- LD Online - Articles, essays, expert columns and other resources on learning disabilities and ADHD.
- Lord Fairfax Youth Classes - Classes available for kids ages 7-14 including Lego robotics, drama, art and more.
- Parent Educational Advocacy Training Center
- Parent Organizer With Educational Resources
- Understood - With the right support, parents can help children unlock their strengths and reach their full potential. The Understood website provides personalized resources, free daily access to experts, a secure online community, practical tips and more.
- VCU Autism Center for Excellence - Learn how VCU-ACE works to improve services to those with ASD through discovery and implementation of evidence-based practices.
- Virginia Board for People With Disabilities - The Board serves as the Developmental Disabilities Planning Council, addressing the needs of people with developmental disabilities as established under the federal "Developmental Disabilities Assistance and Bill of Rights Act" and the state "Virginians with Disabilities Act."
- Virginia Department of Education Special Education
- Virginia Family Network Scholarship Opportunities - Scholarships are available for educational and leadership development opportunities that promote and help individuals employ their lived experience with mental illness to inform and transform the service system.
- Virginia Family Special Education Connection
- Virginia Parent Resource Centers