This Policy is under review.
627P - Parental Rights and Responsibilities
Last Updated Date: 04/20/2021
Adoption Date: 04/20/2021
All staff members respect the parental rights of both parents. Unless there is a law, legally binding document, or court order to the contrary, both parents have the right to
- inspect and review the child’s school records, in accordance with Policy 416P, Students- Student Scholastic Records and Regulation 416R-A, Students- Student Scholastic Records.
- visit the school in accordance with Policy 609P, Community Relations- School Visitors and Policy 226P, Administration- Sex Offender and Crimes Against Minors Registry Information.
- receive all notifications required by law.
The custodial parent has the responsibility to
- keep the school office informed of the parent’s address and how the parent may be contacted at all times;
- provide the current address and phone number of the noncustodial parent at registration unless such address is unknown and the custodial parent signs a statement to that effect, or unless a court order restricts the educational or contact rights of the noncustodial parent; and
- provide a copy of any legal document which restricts the educational and/or contact rights of the noncustodial parent.
The noncustodial parent has the responsibility to keep the school informed of changes in the parent’s phone number and address. At the request of a noncustodial parent, such parent will be included as an emergency contact for the student’s activities unless a court order has been issued to the contrary.
20 U.S.C. § 1232g
34 C.F.R. § 99.4
Code of Virginia, 1950, as amended, §§ 22.1-4.3, 22.1-78, 22.1-287